Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fried rice at last

Since the beginning of time I have tried to get the hang of cooking fried rice. 

I think I've finally nailed it.

My previous attempts were okay-tasting but just not the same as from a restaurant. 

The problem: too heavy on the soy sauce. It was like I was extinguishing a house fire! A house made of fried rice.

Here's what I do now:

  • Use leftover rice which has been in the fridge.
    Cold rice is key.
  • Heat a skillet on high. Add a few tablespoons of oil.
    I use olive oil, but peanut oil is more authentic, I believe.
  • When that's all nice and hot (if it gets scary-hot, turn the heat down a bit), I stir-fry some onions, garlic, celery and carrots.
  • Then I dump in the cold rice and stir-fry quickly.
    Gotta keep it all moving around in the pan.
  • At this point, I chicken out and turn down the heat.
  • Finally, I add some frozen peas (thawed) and cooked meat--diced leftover chicken or lunch meat ham.
  • I season with ginger, salt and pepper.
    Cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes make it spicy.

  • Everyone adds soy sauce on their own plates--to taste.
  • Tip: You could also scramble an egg ahead of time, set it aside and mix in right before serving. 
This might be a "cheater" way to fry rice, but it works for me. 

I thought I'd share it.

Shared on these neighborly sites:
The Prairie Homestead

2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks yummy, my Mum would love to give this a try as she's got no idea how to make it or what to do with leftover rice!!

    Thanks,

    I hope you're having a fun day,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always having a fun day, Snoopy! Hope your pulled muscle is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete