Thursday, December 6, 2012

Deviant gooey butter cake

I had a hankering for gooey butter cake last night. 

Here's the story:

The recipe called for all kinds of things I had on hand.

Yellow cake mix, however, was not in the pantry.

So I decided to make one on my own. The from-scratch cake mix recipe called for dry milk. 

I didn't have dry milk. 

Then I had the brainstorm to use an instant vanilla pudding mix as the dry milk. (Pudding in the mix, right??)

I didn't have any vanilla pudding mix.

I had chocolate pudding mix, though! Now, we were getting somewhere.

The result was very tasty, even if it did veer down a bumpy side road to get there.

It actually may be more like chess squares than authentic St. Louis gooey butter cake. I fear some baker might give me the what-for and call me out on it. But it was still good.

Here's the recipe:
 
DEVIANT GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

Ingredients:

Bottom layer:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 box instant chocolate pudding mix (or 1/2 cup dry milk)
1 stick butter, softened
3 eggs
1 Tablespoon milk

Top layer:
1 (8 oz) box cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Directions:  
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. 
  2. Mix the ingredients for the bottom layer and press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
  3. Mix the ingredients for the top layer and spread onto the first layer.
    You might want to start with evenly-spaced dollops and go from there--it's kinda difficult to spread.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.
  5. Let cool.
Wallow in the depravity. Yum.
 
This post was shared on these neighborly websites:
Mad in Crafts
Growing Home 
Handy Man, Crafty Woman  
Frugally Sustainable

2 comments:

  1. You are impressive. I am such a rule follower, I would never be able to create anything this delicious by happenstance. This look delicious. In fact, I am drooling over my keyboard...thanks :). I am happily visiting you back after your very sweet comment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! You're such a sweetie! Love your blog, too!!

    ReplyDelete